Monday 13 July 2015

Bikes one day, a zillion people the next

Friday we headed the a small village called Lassay. Like most of the villages its buildings are all made from stone and this one has a beautiful castle in the middle of it. It's a complete castle, not ruins which so many were left. Our plan had us spending the day here having a picnic while we wait for le Tour de France to Come past. 

The day is gloriously hot and we find a small walled garden in the castle grounds and set up camp. Cheese, wine and baguettes, it's simple and yet so beautiful. I sit listening to my girls giggle and I read my book happily. 

The caravans come past around an hour before the tour. It's like a parade of float sponsors but they are driving around 70km and throwing stuff at you to catch which seems like a fight to catch before someone else grabs it. Very amusing to watch some people become quite aggressive while making sure they grab the small magnets or sample
Packets of washing liquid. 

Once back at the cottages where I do a final clean and pack in preparation for our departure to Paris. Jaimie cooked the bbq that night which he announced was ready by sending smoke signals from the other cottage. Over here they bbq with fire not gas as we are more accustomed to. Although a temperamental heat source, the food does taste amazing with the smoky flavour. 

Saturday the alarm goes off with a blast. It's the earliest we have been up in a few weeks, but it helps get us on the road early. We make it to the hotel by lunch time and head straight into Paris. It's really hot and once we come up out of the train station at Notre dame there are people every where. I mean omg people everywhere. I would imagine from the sky we would look like ants covering a table of food. 

The sights past the people are beautiful. Unlike london the buildingsare all around the same height. Notre dame is as pretty as I remember it, taking your breath away as you look at the Windows's and carvings in the stone. We decided to then head to the Eiffel Tower on the open top bus. These buses help you seen a bit more in short amounts of time. 

The girls faces when faced with the tower is gold. Smiles covered them and awe on just how big it is up close. Again people crawling everywhere which I was starting to find very hard after spending a week in the country side to what I'm more accustomed with from home. We grabbed some lunch and looked around. We never got up the tower due to the 4 hour wait time but the girls were still happy. 

We walked around the gardens a bit and then we did something very left field. Martin and I renewed our vows to each other in a-way. We had decided before we left to write letters to each other. Letters to share how we feel about each other, to reaffirm commitments and to remind the other why they are still around. 

We picked a spot and read them in front of the girls to each other. I was so very nervous which seems crazy when Marty knows everything about me. He has seen me at my worst and still I felt very exposed reading my letter. I read it with tears streaming down my face. And I continued to cry while he read his words to me. 

We headed to meet everyone else after this and found a cute little bar in an alley way where the girls and I sang with the pianist and enjoyed cocktails, the girls feeling very special with their mock tails. We finally made it back to the hotel at 9pm and got the girls bathed while Marty gather some food. Tomorrow we fly home after what has been the best holiday we have had in a very long time. 

We have laughed, cried, played and explored together. The girls have been amazing and showed all who came into contact with them their best sides. I was so very proud of them. Their manners never disappeared and their laughs were infectious. I have enjoyed spending time with Marty's family a lot! Certain catch phrases will continue to stick and I may never pull someone's finger again without thinking of nights around the table after dinner in France. 

 Although I don't want our holiday to end, it's ending on a high which is the same way it began. So this is me signing off from daily blogging from France with love❤️

Bx 💕














No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all, thanks for reading and I will try to reply to all comments. Big love Bx