Thursday 18 February 2016

From stepford wife and beyond....

Where do you rate yourself as a parent? How do you stack up amongst the stepford wives of your domaine? You know I used to worry about what other mothers thought of my parenting. I even tried to be like others. 

You know - label everything with little johnnies name, clothes were always clean and surely should be a brand better than target. Their bedrooms had to look a certain way. My house had to be cleaned within an inch of its life because at any moment a visitor would be a knocking. God forbid they see a few crumbs on the floor from lunch or toys everywhere. And above all else don't ever admit to not coping. That is blasphemy!!!!

It's safe to say I no longer live like this. Trying to keep up appearances is hard work and seriously no fun. My house now gets messy and if I don't want to tidy up, it's just that I could not be bothered. Some times I just don't wash up after dinner and seriously the world does not implode! 

I still love a clean house, don't mistake this as an admission that we now live like pigs. We just are real and a lot less stressed. It is handy the girls are older and take care of their things and tidy up after themselves (when asked).

 My parenting has changed too. I'm honest about my ups and downs. I don't think less or more of other parents because we all get this job with no previous training and learn as we go. I've learnt to be kinder to myself when I get cranky and yell. Im trying to raise 4 girls into women who should be respectful to them selves and others always. 

I sometimes fail at this parenting stuff. I question if the girls even like me let alone love me. Sometimes I have huge wins and feel like "I so have this stuff down" All in all this is a on the job learning experience that is not ever going to mirror another parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all, thanks for reading and I will try to reply to all comments. Big love Bx